Saturday, June 19, 2010

Mission

I have a mission in life...we all do. It has taken me a long time to come to the realization of what mine is, but I know now! I grew up in an environment surrounded by the elderly. For a long time, I allowed this to be something that weighed me down. Although I seemed to have had a natural ability to serve bestowed upon me, I became frustrated that my mother continuously insisted that I go to work with her, work for her, and constantly be in the Assisted Living Facility with all of those "old people." However, I know now beyond the shadow of a doubt that God was preparing me for one of the most tremendous blessings that I have received to date. My plans for the summer initially consisted of sleeping late, lying by the pool all day, and perhaps putting in a few hours here and there for the Etheridge House. It was going to be a tough summer. God had other plans. Through a series of intricate details coming together, I landed in Nashville for the summer working in an Alzheimer's unit. This is my first experience with this level of care of demetia residents. From the very first day my heart was overjoyed by the interactions I had with these folks. I was given the opportunity to truly see how precious all stages of life are. Many times these residents are just like little children. They need constant cues on things like brushing their teeth and combing their hair. And sometimes it is to the point where you have to physically show them what a toothbrush is for. So often we get caught up in the "job" and forget that these people had lives, families, mommas, and daddies, brothers and sisters, and even children. Ever so often though, one will surprise you. Right in the middle of telling someone not only to take a pill, but how to swallow it, your heart can be blessed by a random story of a childhood many years ago or a life that seemed like only yesterday. I cannot begin to tell you how overwhelming it is to catch these glimpses. Even when I go all day and don't get this opportunity, I have learned the value and importance of always treating a resident as though they are fully capable of walking out of that building at any moment and resuming their past life. Every single one of them has earned the right to live their lives to the fullest respect of dignity possible. This may include talking to them in a respectful manner, giving them a shower, or even painting their nails. Today I took a lady by the hand and she willingly followed with the trust of a child, and I led her to the beauty shop. I got her in the chair and proceeded to wash her hair. I massaged her head and she giggled and talked about how wonderful it felt. She may not know her first name or even how she got there, but she remembers the emotions felt when being pampered or treated as if she were special. I then washed her hands and put some lotion on them and she talked about how good she smelled. It was a blessing to my heart and I knew that God had placed me in an environment growing up that would show me the purpose of taking care of others. My days have been filled for many years with hilarious stories, moments of frustration, and even the emptiness that accompanies befriending someone only to lose them in a what seems like the blink of an eye. These days were given to me to teach me many lessons. I am thankful that God knows so much more than I ever will, and I pray that I can continue to give Him the control of my life. The joy I receive is far greater than the temporary happiness I have found when I attempt to take matters into my own hands. I cannot wait to see where this journey will lead.

4 comments:

  1. I love you, sis!! And so proud of you! :) Like the blog, too *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great Hilary. I will be looking forward to reading your other entries. You are a blessing to me...love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of you! What a great way to use at least two of your God-given talents! I can't wait to read more....

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is soooooooo great. I have always loved elderly people too!!! We can learn so much from them. I am so proud of you, you made me cry! Debbie Greer, I am on Thomas's computer

    ReplyDelete