Saturday, July 3, 2010

Well, it has been a few weeks since I wrote my first blog. It is amazing what you can learn in that short of a time span. I have laughed hysterically, taken pictures, gotten teary-eyed, had to take a time out (for the purpose of counting to ten), left work exhausted, left work feeling refreshed, etc. The point is...everyday has been different. There have been a few occasions when I thought "What in the world have I gotten into?" But, I was reminded of a Psalms I came across not too long ago. It was an old man's plea with the Lord. He cries out,"Now also when I am old and greyheaded, O God, forsake me not; until I have shewed thy strength unto this generation, and thy power to every one that is to come." We have so much to learn from people. Everyone can teach you something. One fellow in the alzheimer's unit is quite a character. He always has a witty reply of some sort. He never quits, and to be perfectly honest, I think it is partially because he can't remember what he has already said. The other day he was having a particularly tough time recalling details about his life. He wanted to know where he was, why he was there, even at times what his name was. It was pitiful. I really didn't know how to answer every time. I was honestly getting frustrated. After a few hours I heard him ask, "Where's my momma and daddy?" I was a hesitant to answer, but before I could reply he said, "Well...I reckon they've kicked the bucket." I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, but it was a memorable moment for me, nonetheless. I remembered that verse in Psalms 71 where the old man says, "In thee, O Lord, do I put my trust: let me never be put to confusion." It reminded me that no person ever desires to get to a point of confusion, or even to become elderly. I can't count how many times over the years I have heard, "I never thought I'd get to the point where someone would have to take care of me..." My buddy at the Arbors reminded me of how thankful I should be for my life and how precious every moment and every memory truly is. I hope that we all will remember to cherish the little things and to not worry about tomorrow. Because after all, tomorrow will worry about itself.

1 comment:

  1. And I thank God for you and your family who have a "special" calling to love and care for the elderly. Don't go away...I'm not that far from being there! :-)

    ReplyDelete